Sunset Chai Latte Cookies (plant-based)
A warm chai tea latte in cookie form? We’ll take a dozen!
The brilliant minds at VegNews thought up this delicious creation. Infused with sumptuous chai spices like cinnamon, ginger, and green cardamom—then iced with a velvety chai frosting—these soft, chewy morsels are made extra special with a secret ingredient: Wize Monkey Sunset Chai tea. We already love this rich, antioxidant-packed tea harvested from the leaves of coffee plants, so why not add the tea to our dream holiday cookie? So start your ovens … you’re about to meet your new favourite cookie.
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the cookies:
½ cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons Wize Monkey Sunset Chai
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup applesauce
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
¼ cup canned, full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon Wize Monkey Sunset Chai
3 tablespoons vegan butter
2⅓ cups powdered sugar
Cinnamon for dusting
WHAT YOU DO:
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small pan over low heat, add coconut oil and Wize Monkey Sunset Chai. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and allowing the tea to infuse into coconut oil. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Strain to make sure it yields ½ cup. If necessary, add more coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, applesauce, and chai-infused coconut oil. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and fold gently until combined.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven, gently flatten cookies with spatula, and let cool completely.
- For the frosting, in a small pan over low heat, add coconut milk and Wize Monkey Sunset Chai. Warm for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until milk darkens in color. Strain into a small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together vegan butter, powdered sugar, and chai-infused coconut milk until smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cookies and dust with cinnamon.
Makes 16 cookies
GET SOME SUNSET CHAI TODAY